If you run a big site or many blogs and would like to create some automated exports or run into memory/runtime issues with the web based exporter then this wrapper around the existing web-based WordPress exporter will likely help you out here.
Grab the file from https://github.com/tott/WordPress-CLI-Exporter and copy it to your WordPress root folder or any other convenient location.
Make sure to set
$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] according to your environment.
Then execute the script with the following parameters ( brackets indicate optional parameters ):
php cli-exporter.php --blog=blogname --path=/tmp/ --user=admin [--start_date=2011-01-01] [--end_date=2011-12-31] [--post_type=post] [--author=admin] [--category=Uncategorized] [--post_status=publish] [--skip_comments=1]
- blogname: the name or blog_id of the blog you like to export
- path: the full path to the directory where exports should be stored
- user: the WordPress username that will run this export
- start_date: only export posts older than this date (format: YYYY-MM-DD)
- end_date: only export posts newer than this date (format: YYYY-MM-DD)
- post_type: export only posts matching this post_type
- author: export only posts for this user_login or user_id
- category: export only posts with this category name
- post_status: export only posts with a particular post status
- skip_comments: if this is set to 1 then comments will not be exported
I hope this is useful.